Nobody in Major League Baseball has more World Series championships than the New York Yankees’ 27.
But none of those titles came during Giancarlo Stanton’s first eight seasons with the team.
“It’s definitely incomplete,” the slugger said of his career with the Yankees on Tuesday, per Ronald Blum of the Associated Press. “The point of being a Yankee is being a champion.”
New York’s last championship came in 2009, which was well before Stanton or Aaron Judge arrived. Stanton has been with the Bronx Bombers since the 2018 campaign, while Judge has been on the team since 2016.
Despite the lack of a ring, it is hard to argue with Stanton’s production.
Last season was his fifth in a row with at least 24 home runs, and he also launched 38 in his first season with the Yankees. He might have surpassed that total in 2025 if he remained healthy, as he finished with those 24 long balls in just 77 games.
Durability has been the primary issue for the 36-year-old who has gone on the injured list in each of the last seven seasons. He appeared in 18 games in 2019 and 23 games in the shortened 2020 campaign and dealt with inflammation in the tendons of both elbows last season.
But the elbow issues are not as much of a concern with the upcoming campaign on the horizon.
“I’m good. Ready to go,” Stanton said. “As I said before, it’s not going anywhere. It’s always going to be maintenance, but it didn’t hinder me from any work.”
That is surely welcome news for the Yankees and their fans, as he was a powerful force at the plate when he was healthy last year. And the team will need him in the lineup in 2026 if it is going to win that championship that has eluded it in recent years.
Which is what he believes he needs to make his time with New York complete.