Giancarlo Stanton, New York Yankees

Getty

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

The New York Yankees didn’t have a blockbuster move this offseason. General manager Brian Cashman made moves such as re-signing Cody Bellinger and veteran Paul Goldschmidt, while trading for starter Ryan Weathers. Nonetheless, these are moves that aren’t moving the needle.

New York’s front office is banking on running back the team that won 94 games last season and hopes this time around they are the team that wins the AL East.

Nonetheless, there’s been criticism of this approach from New York, and veteran designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton received a question regarding the team’s offseason while speaking to the media on Feb. 17.

“I was definitely checking to see if anything was going on,” Stanton told reporters (h/t SNY). “Interested. Frustrating? I wouldn’t say frustrating, you have all until through spring to make moves so just interested, curious.”

With the Yankees running back roughly the same team from 2025, manager Aaron Boone will need Stanton to replicate his production from last season while also staying healthy for the majority of the 2026 campaign. The veteran slugger posted a batting average of .273 with 68 hits, 24 homers, 66 RBIs, and 36 runs scored in 77 regular season games in 2025, per StatMuse.

Aaron Judge Gets Blunt About Yankees’ Offseason

Stanton was asked about the Yankees’ offseason following remarks by Aaron Judge regarding the team’s movements during the winter.

“Early on, it was pretty tough to watch,” Judge said (h/t MLB.com). “I’m like, ‘Man, we’re the New York Yankees. Let’s go out there and get the right people, the right pieces to go out there and finish this thing off.’

“We were kind of sitting there for a while making smaller moves. It was tough there in the beginning. Once we solidified getting Bellinger back, we’ve got Trent being our center fielder for another year, then we got a guy like Goldy back. … I think we’re in a good spot.”

New York Needed to Re-Sign Cody Bellinger This Offseason

During an appearance on MLB Network Radio, the Yankees’ general manager made it clear why it was crucial to their offseason to re-sign Bellinger and keep him part of the core that looks to get back to a World Series.

“He covers us in so many different ways,” Cashman said in a video that MLB Network Radio posted on Feb. 1. “He’s a Swiss army knife on the defensive side with above‑average defense in left [field], center [field], [and] first [base].

“Again, it gives our manager, Aaron Boone, a lot of flexibility as the unforeseen starts to occur when the season starts to go. We have coverage in a lot of spots that way. Offensively, he can bat in the middle of the lineup, and he’s a lefty.

“Obviously, we have a lot of strikeouts in a lineup, so he’s a contact‑oriented hitter with pop that is not only good against right‑handers, but also left‑handers as well. He’s not a situation where you get neutralized. He just checks a lot of boxes, as you just said. Handling New York is obviously vitally important, too, because not everybody can do.”

Eduardo Razo Eduardo Razo is a sports writer for Heavy.com, covering the NFL, MLB, and college football. He has previously covered the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB for NBC Sports Washington and NBC Sports Bay Area & California, and has freelanced for PSG Talk, covering Paris Saint-Germain. He also worked as an editor at Athlon Sports, focusing on MLB and the NFL. More about Eduardo Razo

More Heavy on Yankees

Loading more stories