All eyes are on whether Konnor Griffin starts the 2026 season with the Pittsburgh Pirates. A former MLB general manager believes the top prospect will make his MLB debut on March 26.

Steve Phillips said Thursday on MLB Network’s “Hot Stove” that Griffin is “absolutely” capable of making an immediate impact. He believes the 19-year-old will and should spend a full season in the majors.

“I think he makes the team on Opening Day,” Phillips said. “I think it’s the right thing for the Pirates.”

Phillips noted that the Pirates would receive draft-pick compensation if Griffin wins National League Rookie of the Year. The shortstop would also receive a year of service time — regardless of when he’s promoted — if finishing first or second in the award voting, so waiting for a midseason call-up could backfire.

Pittsburgh’s offseason acquisitions could also ease Griffin’s assimilation. A lineup that added Brandon Lowe, Ryan O’Hearn and Marcell Ozuna won’t rely on the heavily hyped youngster to carry the offense from Day 1.

Story continues below advertisement

“This lineup is such that he’s got some protection that he doesn’t feel like, ‘I have to go be the guy.’ He will be the guy, though,” Phillips predicted. “I mean, this kid is unbelievable.”

The Pirates appear to be giving Griffin a legitimate opportunity to make the Opening Day roster after a dominant start to his professional career. He’s No. 1 in nearly all preseason prospect rankings after batting .333/.415/.527 with 21 home runs and 65 stolen bases last season.

Starting 2026 in Pittsburgh would nevertheless represent a rapid leap for Griffin, who began last year in Single-A and spent just 21 games in Double-A. Pirates manager Don Kelly called it “a really tough ask” for the teenage phenom to make that jump, but that doesn’t mean Griffin won’t earn the opportunity.

Story continues below advertisement

More MLB: Don Kelly Addresses Pirates’ Opening Day Plans For Top Prospect