BOSTON — Starter Ranger Suárez was removed from the Red Sox’ 3-1 10-inning loss to the Astros on Sunday after four scoreless innings due to right hamstring tightness.

The 30-year-old lefty threw 70 pitches (46 strikes). He allowed three hits and one walk while striking out three.

Advertisement

He exited with the game scoreless and lefty reliever Tyler Samaniego replaced him.

Suárez said he hopes to avoid the IL and make his next start.

“Last year, I suffered something similar. I didn’t miss any time,” Suárez said through translator Carlos Villoria Benítez. “So hopefully I won’t miss any time.”

He said he felt some tightness during the second inning but pitched through it.

“And then in the fourth I felt something that was worse than that,” he said.

Suárez has dealt with hamstring issues in the past. A right hamstring strain landed him on the 15-day injured list with the Phillies in August 2023. He also spent time on the seven-day IL with a right hamstring injury in the minors in 2018. Both IL stints were brief.

Advertisement

He said this feels “way different” from the strain that landed him on the IL in 2023.

Suárez lowered his ERA to 2.77 over seven starts. He is coming off one of the best starts of his career, throwing eight scoreless innings and striking out 10 in a win over the Blue Jays last Monday. He allowed just one hit and one walk in that start.

He has not allowed a run in four of his past five starts and has held opponents to a .197 batting average this season.

Boston signed him to a five-year, $130 million contract in free agency in January.

More Red Sox coverage

Read the original article on MassLive. Add MassLive as a Preferred Source by clicking here.