Breadcrumb Trail Links
New accusations unveiled against all-star closer as co-accused requests case be split in court filing
Published Feb 05, 2026 • Last updated 45 minutes ago • 2 minute read
You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.
Cleveland Guardians relief pitcher Emmanuel Clase reacts after the Guardians defeated the Athletics in a baseball game, Friday, July 18, 2025, in Cleveland. Photo by David Dermer /APArticle content
Former Cy Young Award finalist Emmanuel Clase is suspected of throwing rigged pitches to aid gamblers four times more than originally thought, a report said, citing a court document filed Thursday.
Advertisement 2
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY
Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.
Unlimited online access to articles from across Canada with one account.Get exclusive access to the Toronto Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on.Enjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalists.Support local journalists and the next generation of journalists.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.
Unlimited online access to articles from across Canada with one account.Get exclusive access to the Toronto Sun ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment on.Enjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalists.Support local journalists and the next generation of journalists.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authors
Article content
The three-time all-star and AL saves leader for the Cleveland Guardians was accused by federal prosecutors of throwing suspicious pitches in nine games over a three-year span when his indictment was unsealed in November.
Article content
Article content
However, the lawyer for teammate and alleged co-conspirator Luis Ortiz said the feds have accused Clase of manipulating his pitches in 39 other games as he asked for the cases to be severed over “markedly different levels of culpability,” ESPN reported.
Christos N. Georgalis, the lawyer for Ortiz, said his client will not receive a fair trial unless that happens.
ESPN said it had yet to receive a comment from Clase’s lawyer and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, which is prosecuting the case. MLB declined to comment further on the case, ESPN reported, but said previously that it was co-operating with prosecutors.
Co-accused’s lawyer wants cases split
Ortiz is accused of rigging pitches in two games in June 2025, while Clase is accused of conspiring with bettors between 2023 and 2025, according to the indictment.
Your Midday Sun
Thanks for signing up!
Article content
Advertisement 3
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
They have both pleaded not guilty to wire fraud conspiracy, honest services wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting events by bribery with the top charges worth up to 20 years in prison.
The filing asked for the case to be split due to the difference in scale of the alleged crimes, while highlighting that the indictment does not contain evidence that Ortiz communicated directly with bettors.
A jury presented “with 26 months of alleged criminal conduct by Mr. Clase — including suspect pitches during 48 games, dozens of communications with (a bettor), cash transfers and co-ordination of illegal wagers” could find Ortiz guilty by association, Georgalis said in the filing, via ESPN.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO
We apologize, but this video has failed to load.
Play VideoTeammates placed on leave in July
Clase appeared in 197 games over the 2023, 2024 and 2025 seasons, which would mean he is accused of rigging pitches in nearly a quarter of his games. He was an American League Cy Young Award finalist in one of those seasons (2024) and led the AL in saves on two of those occasions (2023 and 2024).
Advertisement 4
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
Both players were placed on non-disciplinary leave in July and are accused of receiving thousands of dollars to help two unnamed gamblers in their native Dominican Republic win bets placed on the speed and outcome of their pitches.
Clase has earned more than $15 million over his MLB career and was in the middle of a five-year, $20-million contract with Cleveland when he was placed on leave, according to Spotrac.
Ortiz had earned about $2.2 million during his time with Cleveland and the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Read More
After Gavin McKenna arrest, a look at athletes in recent legal trouble
Victim needed surgery after alleged incident with Gavin McKenna: Affidavit
Article content
Share this article in your social network