New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor is being examined Wednesday for a stress reaction in left hamate bone, general manager David Stearns told reporters Tuesday at the team’s spring training camp.

Surgery is a possibility for the five-time All-Star, which would carry a six-week timetable for recovery.

MORE: Former Cy Young Award winner, 43, signs $13 million contract

Stearns said he is confident Lindor could be ready for opening day if he undergoes the surgery, according to Jorge Castillo of ESPN.

The injury perhaps sheds light on the decision to deny Lindor insurance coverage for the World Baseball Classic, where he hoped to compete for Puerto Rico in March, and the Mets’ refusal to let Lindor compete after Bad Bunny reportedly offered to pay for Lindor’s insurance.

The injury is one of many that came to light Tuesday as players around Major League Baseball reported to spring training camps in Arizona and Florida.

Few injuries will affect players more decorated than Lindor, who led the National League in plate appearances (732) last year while slashing .267/.346/.466 for the Mets.

Lindor finished in the Top 10 in National League MVP Award voting for the fourth consecutive year in 2025 and made his fifth All-Star team. He is a two-time Gold Glove Award and four-time Silver Slugger Award winner.

— Enjoy free coverage of the top news & trending stories on The Big Lead —

OLYMPICS: 2026 Winter Olympics TV schedule, list of Milan Cortino events on Tuesday, February 10

SUPER BOWL: Way-too-early 2027 Super Bowl odds following NFL season

NFL DRAFT: Updated 2026 NFL Draft order following Seahawks’ Super Bowl 60 win

CBB: 2026 college basketball rankings, updated AP Top 25 for Week 15

MLB: League advised teams to ‘tell players to carry their papers’ to avoid ICE detention

SPORTS MEDIA: Shocking details emerge from James Pearce Jr, Rickea Jackson domestic dispute