Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Getty

(Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)

Former Indiana Hoosiers QB Fernando Mendoza looks to be the No. 1 overall pick for the Las Vegas Raiders. If the Silver and Black decide to go this route, they will need to use free agency to have more pieces in place for the rookie signal-caller.

The offensive line needs improving, but so does the Raiders’ receiving group, considering the only reliable pass-catcher is Brock Bowers. As a result, whether it’s the draft or free agency, Las Vegas needs to supply its young QB with more weapons.

On a Feb. 10 appearance on CBS Sports HQ, CBS Sports’ John Breech stated that the Raiders pursuing a veteran pass catcher to help Mendoza would be ideal and even floated a name.

“The only thing you want to do is bring in guys who can help your young quarterback,” Breech said. “We know they have Brock Bowers. We know they have Ashton Jeanty. So they have the tight end situation settled. They have the running back situation settled.

“Why not go out and get some receivers and some help on the offensive line? I think bringing in a veteran receiver would be interesting, someone like Mike Evans. I don’t know if he’s going to want to go to a rebuilding team, but a veteran who can help Mendoza in his rookie year.”

Moreover, Evans played with Raiders minority owner Tom Brady; it would be interesting to see if he could convince the Tampa Bay Buccaneers veteran to leave Florida when free agency opens.

Mike Evans Agent Breaks Silence on Player’s Future

During pregame coverage of Super Bowl LX on Feb. 8, NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo delivered the first substantial update about Evans’ situation from his camp. Instead of the unverified chatter that’s been floating around recently, this update was based on comments directly from agent Deryk Gilmore.

“Mike started the season in great shape,” Gilmore said in a statement to Garafolo. “Most people in the organization said he probably had the best camp of everyone. He finished feeling better than he has in several seasons. I think his competitive nature leads to more football. That is my hope. Like most fans, I love watching him play.”

Rich Gannon Talks Fernando Mendoza

With the 2026 NFL Draft on the horizon, former Raiders QB Rich Gannon didn’t hold back on his thoughts regarding Mendoza should Las Vegas decide he’s their franchise signal-caller.

“I still think it’s early in the process,” Gannon told reporters on Feb. 10 (h/t Vegas Sports Today). “I mean, there’s a lot to like there when you look at his body of work. He’s got a lot of the qualities and tangibles you love with that position: Toughness, accuracy, competitiveness, and leadership skills.

“It’s just a matter of sorting through all the tape, just like these guys are going to do, and really trying to figure out who’s the best player for the Raiders in 2026.”

Moreover, Gannon also spoke on the Raiders’ broadcast after the Kubiak press conference and noted that if Las Vegas does select Mendoza, he supports the idea of letting the young QB sit and watch until he’s ready.

“That’s the ideal situation,” Gannon said. “I know with Aaron [Rodgers], he was not happy sitting for three years, but as it turned out, it was a pretty good deal for him.

“Nobody who comes from the college game is ready to play right away. There’s nobody. There’s so much of a learning curve, and so if you can go somewhere and have a veteran quarterback, get a chance to play, get your feet wet.”

Eduardo Razo Eduardo Razo is a sports writer for Heavy.com, covering the NFL, MLB, and college football. He has previously covered the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB for NBC Sports Washington and NBC Sports Bay Area & California, and has freelanced for PSG Talk, covering Paris Saint-Germain. He also worked as an editor at Athlon Sports, focusing on MLB and the NFL. More about Eduardo Razo

More Heavy on Raiders

Loading more stories