Photo credit: Jerome Miron-Imagn Images
A National Hockey League reporter believes that Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin should avoid trading for a former third overall pick.
For starters, Allvin has made it known to teams around the league that all of his pending unrestricted free agents, and some veteran players, are available for trade and that his goal is to make his roster younger.
Allvin has already made good on that word after dealing Quinn Hughes to the Minnesota Wild last month for a package that included a trio of youngsters – Zeev Buium (20), Liam Ohgren (21), Marco Rossi (24), as well as a 2026 first round pick.
NHL reporter believes Vancouver Canucks should avoid former third overall pick
On Friday morning, Sportsnet insider Elliotte Friedman reported that the Carolina Hurricanes are exploring trade options for former third overall pick Jesperi Kotkaniemi and also shared that he was included in the trade offer made to Vancouver last month for Quinn Hughes.
“According to several sources, Carolina is considering offers as you read this. The Hurricanes are contending for a Stanley Cup, so they want either something that can help them now or something they can use to help them now. Either path is necessary to get something done.” Friedman said.
He added, “He’s been involved in some discussions already: with Los Angeles (for Phillip Danault) and Vancouver (in the offered package for Quinn Hughes).”
Kotkaniemi has struggled this season, with just two goals and six points and has been limited to just 25 games after sustaining an ankle injury against the Vancouver Canucks.
In a recent article for Canucks Army, Tyson Cole doesn’t believe that the Vancouver Canucks should target Jesperi Kotkaniemi for several reasons, especially his contract as he’s owed $4.82 million annually through the 2029-30 season.
“Not only is the 2018 third-overall pick not producing offensively, or defensively – he’s dead last in Corsi Percentage, Shot Share, Expected Goals Percentage, Scoring Chances, and High-Danger Scoring Chances For Percentage of all Hurricanes forwards at 5v5 – but he’s got an ugly contract that comes with that baggage.” Cole said.
Given Kotkaniemi’s injury and poor play this season, it’s hard to gauge what his trade value might be, but it’s clear that the Pori, Finland native needs a fresh start and if the Hurricanes are willing to retain salary, he could be a decent bottom-six pickup for a young team.
Previously on Vancouver Hockey Daily
POLL
1 HOUR AGOÂ Â Â |Â Â Â 103 ANSWERS
Vancouver Canucks strongly warned not to trade for former 3rd overall pick despite intriguing offer
Do you think the Vancouver Canucks should pass on the opportunity to acquire Jesperi Kotkaniemi?