Vancouver Canucks receive unfortunate news from the NHL


Vancouver Hockey Daily has no direct affiliation to the Vancouver Canucks, NHL or NHLPA



Jan 3, 2026; Vancouver, British Columbia, CAN; Vancouver Canucks forward Brock Boeser (6) during a stop in play against the Boston Bruins in the second period at Rogers Arena.

Photo credit: Bob Frid – Imagn Images.

The Vancouver Canucks have received some unfortunate news this week in their chances to hoist their first-ever Stanley Cup in franchise history in the near future.

Following last night’s 5-1 win by the Winnipeg Jets over the Los Angeles Kings, the Vancouver Canucks fell back into 32nd – last place – in the National Hockey League’s overall standings, which gives them the best odds to land the first overall pick and have their chance to select someone like Gavin McKenna or Ivar Stenberg.

Despite the optimism in the offseason that this would be the year things turn around for the club, the Vancouver Canucks are entering a “hybrid retool”, General Manager Patrik Allvin said in an interview last month after trading away captain Quinn Hughes to the Minnesota Wild.

“We felt that the package Minnesota came up with, with the younger players and it gives us a chance to step back here and retool it a little bit with a hybrid form and getting two young players, Buium is 20, Ohgren is 21 and we needed a center here and Rossi is a highly-talented player that’s very consistent in the league and just 24.” Allvin said.

Vancouver Canucks receive unfortunate news about their chances to win a Stanley Cup anytime soon

It certainly feels like it’s going to be quite a while before the Vancouver Canucks are competitive once again, which is not what fans want to hear as they’re on year 15 without an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.

In a recent article for Daily Faceoff, some of their writers picked which National Hockey League club is the furthest away from winning a Stanley Cup and for Steven Ellis, he chose the Vancouver Canucks.

Ellis believes that because of the Vancouver Canucks not having the strongest prospect pipeline in the league, their NHL roster being “a mess” at the moment and the off-ice distractions, they won’t be competing for a Stanley Cup in the near future.

“I’m going with the Vancouver Canucks. I just don’t know where this team goes from here. Their pipeline is just below average at best, and their actual NHL lineup is a total mess. This team was supposed to be set for the future with Elias Pettersson, J.T. Miller, Quinn Hughes, Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko. Instead, two of them are gone, two of them are underperforming and Demko simply needs goal support (and to stay healthy). There seems to be more discussion about the team’s off-ice issues than on the ice, and the distractions have been hard to ignore. The Canucks are just an absolute disaster, and I’m not sure how they fix it.” Ellis said.

It’s certainly not great news for Vancouver Canucks fans, but it’s the truth and until the team undergoes a proper rebuild/retool or whatever they want to call it, they’re not going to be able to keep up and be competitive with top clubs in the league such as Colorado, Carolina and Dallas.

Previously on Vancouver Hockey Daily

POLL

2 HOURS AGO   |   151 ANSWERS

Vancouver Canucks receive unfortunate news from the NHL

Do you think the Vancouver Canucks will win a Stanley Cup within the next decade?